Singer, Songwriter and event producer, Jayme Kelly Curtis came onto Artists on Art to talk about the Santa Cruz County Art of Guitar Exhibit and Festival events running February 1–March 15, 2014.
Celebrating Santa Cruz’s Amazing Lutherie Community, this six week long festival is a series of events that feature 20 of the worlds most admired guitar builders who live and work here in Santa Cruz County. This week is the First Friday: Exploring Guitars and Lutherie Friday, February 7, 2014, 5:00pm – 9:00pm at the Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History, with lots of events at the R. Blitzer Gallery in the old Wrigley Building on Mission Extension on the Westside of Santa Cruz.
Here’s the entire schedule of events:
- Saturday, February 1, 5:00 – 9:00 pm – R. Blitzer Gallery Guitar Exhibit Grand Opening; meet the luthiers and enjoy refreshments, live music with Bill Walker and Rhan Wilson, and intimate viewing of exquisite locally made guitars
- Friday, February 7, 6:00 – 9:00 pm – Museum of Art & History First Friday; Featuring 12 guitarists demonstrating instruments from distinguished Santa Cruz-based luthiers; lutherie demonstration by Hill Guitar Company and much more*
- Saturday, February 8, 7:30 pm – From Lute to Uke – The Santa Cruz Baroque Festival’s historic journey through the world of the guitar family featuring performance by Tim Rayborn, John Schneiderman and Ukulele Dick. Historic instrument display by Luthier Paul Hostetter in the lobby.
- Tuesday, February 11, 8:00 pm – Concert at the Gallery by a special surprise guest
- Thursday, February 20, 8:00 pm – Bill Walker and Chris Mallet in CONCERT at the Gallery; Guitars by Rick Turner/Renaissance Guitar Company, Gil Carnal and more
- Friday, February 22 – Sunday, February 23 – Santa Cruz Art League – Classical/Baroque Guitar and Instrument Exhibit by Luthier Charles Sutton
- Sunday, February 23 7:00 pm – Santa Cruz Art League – Flamenco Concert by singer Carlitos de Santa Cruz and guitarist Guillermo Rios
- Saturday, March 1, 8:00 pm – Alex de Grassi, Evan Hirschelman and William Coulter in CONCERT at R. Blitzer Gallery – Premier Performance of The HUMANITAR, a new hybrid instrument/sculpture from Fred Carlson CLICK HERE FOR ADVANCE TICKETS
- Thursday, March 6, 8:00 pm- The Athens Guitar Duo in CONCERT at R. Blitzer Gallery PLUS guitarist David Winters – Sponsored by Hill Guitar Company
- Thursday, March 13, 8:00 pm – Guitar Poet Brian Gore PLUS Flamenco guitarist Adam Markowitz In CONCERT at R. Blitzer Gallery – Highlighting Carter/Poulsen Guitars and Charles Sutton Guitars
- ONGOING AT THE GALLERY – A PHOTOGRAPHIC EXHIBIT of the luthiers at work in their studios by Jim MacKenzie and Renee Flower – Sponsored by Bay Photo
Here’s the entire schedule of events:
the First Friday: Exploring Guitars and Lutherie will have 14 world class guitarists show off exquisite guitars designed and built in Santa Cruz County on the main stage, MAH atrium.
6:00 Jayme Kelly Curtis — Tony Graziano Guitars
6:15 Kenny Hill — Hill Guitar Company
6:30 Ben Bording — Matthew Mustapick Guitars
6:45 Bob Basa — Andrew Sacco Archtop Guitars
7:00 David Winter — Fred Carlson Harp Guitars
7:15 Doug Young — Ed Claxton Guitars
7:30 Tess Dunn and Rory Freeman — Jeff Traugott Guitars
7:45 Robby Eckert — David Morse Guitars
8:00 William Coulter — Santa Cruz Guitar Company Guitars
8:15 Patti Maxine, Colin Alder and Rhan Wilson – CruzTone Lap Steel Guitars and Rick Turner/Renaissance Guitars
8:30 Bill Walker – Scott Walker Guitars
While enjoying these concerts grab a drink from the MAH’s no host bar and check out the following displays and activities!
Kenny Hill and sons from Hill guitar Company show you how to make fine classical guitars. Come watch the process of one of the most accomplished, experienced, and versatile classical guitar makers in the world build custom made, concert level guitars!
Slide Show Bistro Relax with food and drink while you enjoy a slide show of portraits of local luthiers by Jim MacKenzie and Renee Flower.
Guitar strap weaving demonstration by Annie MacHale
Second String Project Collection Point
Bring your sets of used guitar strings to be distributed to musicians in undeveloped areas of the world.
Adam’s Art Project
Make a guitar shaped pendant from tone wood with finish expert Adam Stark.